The First-Generation & Transfer Student Center (FGTSC) houses two signature programs: First To Go & Graduate (F2G&G) and Roadrunner Transition Experience (RTE) that provide peer mentorship to undergraduate students. The Peer Mentor position is a paid position that is filled by current UTSA graduate and undergraduate students.
FGTSC Peer Mentors:
- Are sophomore, junior, senior or graduate level students
- Serve on a semester by semester basis
- Are assigned a caseload of first-generation or transfer students, depending on the program they are involved in.
- Meet with their assigned students in one-on-one meetings or in groups to build a connection, share updates and announcements and attending university programming together.
- Are assigned to a Faculty Coach in addition to their mentee caseload which forms their familia.
- Are matched with their Faculty Coach and Mentees based on academic pathway.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Depending on the program, the applicant must be: a first-generation or transfer student
- Sophomore, Junior, Senior, or Graduate student full-time status at UTSA
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 required
- Have and maintain a clear judicial record
- Clear a current Criminal Background Check
- Must have or obtain a valid social security number
- Starting salary $10.00 hourly
- 19 hours maximum per week
Fall/Spring Mandatory Training
Applicants should know before applying that all Peer Mentors are required to attend mandatory fall and spring Peer Mentor Training. This reocurringly happens the week before the first week of class. Training provides a space for the FGTSC Leadership Team to share updates on department/university goals, roles & responsibilities as well as an opportunity for the peer mentors to connect as a team.
Follow the link to apply: [Peer Mentor Positions have been filled for fall 2018 and will open shortly for spring 2019]
If you have additional questions please contact:
Crystal Martinez, Program Coordinator for the First-Generation & Transfer Student Center